In 1997, a small group of men and women joined together to climb Mt. Adams to raise money for breast cancer research at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. Over the past 15 years, the Climb to Fight Breast Cancer has grown to include summits in Washington state, Oregon, Alaska, California, Asia, Africa, Russia and Mexico. More than $5.6 million dollars has been raised. Today, the Climb to Fight Breast Cancer Committee has evolved into a team of energetic volunteers committed to both breast cancer research and the exuberance of the outdoors.
Committee members who have participated in the event have proven to be an invaluable asset to the Climb to Fight Breast Cancer's success. However, mountain climbing experience is not required to be a member of this lively Committee.
The Climb to Fight Breast Cancer Committee welcomes new members with fresh ideas and enthusiasm for encouraging increased awareness in the community and raising money for Hutchinson Center scientists and their pilot studies aimed at finding a cure.
Climb to Fight Breast Cancer Committee goals include the following:
- Organization of the climbs
- Working in partnership with the Hutchinson Center to establish and reach event goals
- Secure fundraising incentive prizes
- Recruitment of event participants
- Supporting climbers' fundraising efforts
- General support and resource for climber participants
- Researching additional mountain peaks
For more information, contact: